Hanging it all out there for the taking. Getting rid of mostly trash, but an occasional diamond in the rough may you find.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

PROPS OUT TO THE CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY

Before you read this, read my last post if you haven't already. Okay, read on.

I'd like to thank the employees of the Chicago Transit Authority for their prompt, thorough, and professional manner in which they addressed my complaint/report. First, not 15 minutes after I sent the email, the customer service department repsonded and told me there will be an investigation (they also chastised me for sleeping on the el--I told them I wouldn't anymore). I had also send the email to Carole Brown, the chairman of the board of the CTA (and fellow blogger). She forwarded it on to the appropriate channels for address. I was then sent an email today from Mr. Greg Longhini of the CTA assuring me that at thorough investigation will be conducted as this behavior is not tolerated.

I just got off the phone with the head of the canine unit of the CTA. He was absolutely embarrassed, apologetic and reassured me that there will be an investigation with the on duty security officers and the Chicago police office that was supervising. He said that since I gave such a detailed account and description, they were able to identify the person in question as an off duty Sheriff from the Chicago PD. (BTW, how glad am I that I paid my parking ticket off and that my husband has one of those, I Support Police stickers.) Though he was suprised that that was the gentleman in question, he still intends to terminate him if found guilty.

If this turns into a he said/she said I won't be suprised. But I have to say how impressed I am at the quick action and sincere remorse that these employees of the CTA have shown. They will be calling me or writing me with the outcome of this case and I will let you know what happens.

Homeless or not, one should feel protected by officers of the law. I'm not naive, and I know from experiences of my own and others that officers can get hot tempered, entitled and downright brutal with an inflated sense of authority. The bottom line was this man was not doing anything against the law, perhaps against the no sleeping policy of the CTA, but nothing to warrant the abuse that I witnessed. I've never done anything like this before and the only reason I did was because it was so blatant, I knew that I didn't imagine what I saw, it's imprinted in my mind. My first instinct was to call the officer a "fucker", but I took a second and realize that is the stupidest thing I could have done. (This is my husband's influence.) As they say, the pen is mightier than the sword.

When this is all said and done, I plan on sending a letter of thanks to the CTA from me as a representative of the human race. Most of us have at least one person that has our backs. There are people out there that have nobody. For whatever reason, through fault of their own, the system or a combination of things, they have no one to say, "Back off."

2 Comments:

Blogger K San said...

I have to say this. The little girl in me that hates to displease people or make them feel bad, feels a tiny bit guilty at the prospect that someone could lose their job over this. But, the woman in me just told the little girl to get over it already, this guy's an effing jerk and deserves what he gets.

1:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's kickass that you wrote the letter and got a response. Justice needs to be done otherwise compassion turns into corruption.

11:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home